How to apply for an Individual Study Allowance

Are you studying, but unable to combine your studies with a part-time job, due to a disability? If so, you may be entitled to an individual study allowance.

An individual study allowance is intended to supplement your income up to minimum wage.

Applying for an individual study allowance

To apply for an individual study allowance, you must meet several criteria. You can apply for the allowance if: 

  • You are at least 18 years old.
  • You live in the municipality of Berkelland, Winterswijk or Oost Gelre. You are entitled to student finance in accordance with the Student Finance Act 2000 WSF or are entitled to financial support in accordance with Chapter 4 of the Education Contribution and School Costs Allowance Act (WTOS). 
  • You’re able to work, but you cannot earn the minimum wage due to a disability.

Do you meet the above criteria? Then you can apply for the allowance using the form ‘Aanvraagformulier Individuele Studietoeslag' (application form individual study allowance). 

You will also need to send some supporting documents, along with the application form:

  • A copy of a statement from a doctor about your (medical) situation. If you don't have such a statement, your school can draw up a development plan which you can send along instead. 
  • A copy of the confirmation of your student grant (WSF or WTOS).

Once we’ve received your request, we will look into this for you. You’ll receive our decision, whether you’re entitled to the individual study allowance or not, by letter, within eight weeks.