My Income

Do you receive benefits through Fijnder? If so, you can click on 'My Income' and view or change information about your benefits online.

How can I use My Income? 

Through My Income you’ll always have access to information about:

  • your monthly benefits;
  • holiday allowance;
  • annual statements and other details about your benefits. You can also save these to your own computer and print them. 

Through My Income you can pass on information about things such as:

  • changes that affect your benefit. For example, because you’ve found work or because you’re moving. 
  • a change in your personal details, such as a new phone number or e-mail address. 
  • a complaint or objection. 

Log in using your DigiD

To view your personal information, always log in with your DigiD. This is a login code for government and healthcare websites. For an explanation about DigiD, visit: (multilingual). Don't have a Digid yet? You can request one here:

Note: You can only log in to My Income if you’re receiving benefits through Fijnder. If you don’t receive any benefits, you cannot log in to My Income.

Do you have questions or need help?

Do you have questions or need help with My Income and can't figure it out using the 'Frequently Asked Questions' page? Please contact your income consultant or call 0544 – 474 200. Phone consultations are on weekdays from 9.00 to 11.00 am.